The Transportation Risk Index analyses the severity of impact and ease of management of the top 50 risks facing the transportation industry. Grouped into five megatrends, we examine how these are impacting the sector currently and how this will change in the future.
The research is based on quantitative and qualitative interviews with some of the world’s leading transportation companies, revealing the key risks that will shape the industry over the next ten years.
This report’s key themes weave a common thread: the risks that corporates face now and in the future are fundamentally different from the risks of yesterday.
Insights from the Index – and the reactions of the executives to its findings – have reinforced our opinion that those transportation companies who approach risk strategically open up a world of opportunity.
Below are some of the key conclusions from the research:
- The biggest threat facing today’s transportation executives is cyber vulnerability. Technological developments from automation to the Internet of Things mean supply chains are more connected and reliant on technology than ever before
- Managing this complex risk environment requires a community response; companies are only as strong as their weakest partner
- Despite the primacy of cyber, the top risks are all closely ranked
- Risks are inextricably connected which means the risk environment is increasingly complex. Therefore companies need an holistic approach to risk management
- Proactive risk mitigation strategies remain important, but in a fast moving world of social media preparedness and response are just as critical to a company’s performance
- Each region and sector views risk differently; there is no one size fits all response. This complex risk environment demands customised solutions
The Primary Risks
The industry's top threats as seen through the eyes of senior executives